Sunday 12 June 2011

Lyceum Theatre London

We had been to a theatre show once before. Last time was in the Sheffield Lyceum and to see a small scale show aimed at young children. I was desperate to take Dude to a London musical and knew he would love The Lion King at London's Lyceum Theatre and I wasn't wrong!

Most people can manage to get tickets from the box office on the day or for the next couple of days but as there are only a few wheelchair spaces it is advisable to pre-book. The spaces for wheelchairs and their companions are in the stalls, thus making them the most expensive tickets but you do get the wheelchair user and one carer at a reduced rate. It does mean, however, that if you have a large party, you will have to pay the top price if you want to sit together. For The Lion King show, the stalls are the place you want to be though. The cast run down past the seats in full costume and Dude thought it was fantastic that an Elephant walked past him.

If you do want to buy or pick up your tickets from the box office there are allot of stairs at the entrance and no disabled access. I wasn't told this when booking my tickets and when I went to collect them before our performance the staff member at the door had first asked me to leave my 5yr old Dude outside and join the queue inside to pick up my tickets. I refused to leave him and so he did then ask me for my reference number and went and got them for me.

The entrance into the Lyceum is also stepped but if you make yourself known to the door staff they will open the step free access doors to the stalls. There are disabled toilets as you walk down the corridor which are locked at the beginning and end of the performance but staff will open them for you if you require them. There are lots of staff members around so you shouldn't find it difficult to get access to them. During the performance these are they only toilets open as the cast need to use the other areas and so the area is not accessible to anyone until the interval. I'm not sure if the other toilets are open during the interval.

We used the disabled toilet before the performance and a staff member took us and waited outside. I hadn't realised that the seat was raised (as i don't often come across that whilst using toilets when out). The Dude managed to pee under the seat and soaked all his lower clothing including splints and shoes. As he hasn't been dry in the day long I carry spares but not socks and we only have one set of splints and boots. I quickly cleaned up the Dude and changed him to his spare clothes. Opening the door I asked the staff member (I wish I'd got her name) if it was possible to get a bag to put his wet clothes in. She apologised (which she didn't need to as it was totally my fault we had the accident) and asked me if he could still wear his splints and boots. As I hadn't any spare socks I told her he couldn't so she asked me to give her my bag of wet clothes.
We found our seats and enjoyed the first half of the performance. Dude was loving it so much that he asked to sit and wait for it to start again and not go anywhere. Whilst sat waiting another staff member approached us with a bag. Inside was Dudes clothes, splints and boots all washed, dried and ready to wear. Never have I come across this before. No-one has helped us when we've had an accident of this nature in the past. All I can say is wow! I'm so thankful to the staff at the Lyceum Theatre London.

I can't wait to take Dude to see another musical. I hope we have just as good an experience as we did here!

No comments:

Post a Comment