Saturday 14 May 2011

Stagecoach (the stage school NOT the buses!)

Today Dude started stage school. After ALOT of planning and arranging then rearranging he was able to start. And he loved it!!

I first approached the school back in Febuary of this year and the head mistress arranged for us to go and have a look at the building and how the Early Years classes work.

Initially I was disheartened as the building was old and had many, many steps. The class was deep inside the building and there were two big flights of stairs. Even the fire exit had stairs. I really couldnt see how it was going to be possible for Dude to participate safely. I'd had to leave his wheelchair at the top of the flight of stairs and carry him down and into the classroom. He had really enjoyed joining in with all the singing, dancing and acting. I just couldn't find a way round all the stairs.

I went away to think and discuss with Dudes school whether they knew of a how to get Dude a 1:1 whilst he was there, if I and/or the Stagecoach Head could work out a way for him to get in and out of the classroom.

A few weeks later I received a phone call from Stagecoach saying that she'd sorted moving the Early Years class to the Libary and we were to come in via the fire exit situated in the hall. This ment that we missed out the first flight of stairs to get down to the level where the Libary was.

So we started today. There was still 4 steps to get into the libary but I was able to leave his wheelchair at the bottom and lift him and his walking frame up onto the carpeted area. He had a great time. We had a little problem when at breaktime all the children went to the toilet. The only disabled toilet is located at the front entrance.... up the flight of stairs we'd avoided by entering the building via the fire exit. I managed to toilet him on the general toilets with some difficult but then I have the same problem when he needs toileting at home and we are up stairs.

To summarise, Stagecoach have done all they could, given the building they are based in (doesn't belong to stagecoach. Its a local mainstream High School) They wanted and welcomed Dude and are constantly asking me if there is anything else we need. We wasn't able to get Dude a 1:1 as there are none available so I'm there at all times for him. The teacher adapts the dancing and movement for Dude so that he is included in everything. We both came away happy today and cant wait for next week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, found you via twitter so I've dropped by to welcome you to the world of blogging. Also glad to hear you both enjoyed Stagecoach and I hope Dude continues to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete